Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Speed of Things

Poem of the Day:
"Transit Authority" by Tony Sanders
The Best American Poetry, 1995

Today has been a hectic day. I was busy from 9 AM - 9 PM, working, interning and babysitting. Needless to say my spare time was spent in transit, bus to subway, with a view not quite beautiful, "a myriad of facades inevitably giving way/to sudden vistas" (lines 37-38), to ease me into the next task of my day.

Only when I reached my babysitting job did I feel that I was no longer 'transiting' -- now only babysitting. At the end of my 12 hour day I found myself reclining, playing Scrabble with a ten-year old girl named Lila.

Then, as it does now, my day finally felt as if it was slowing down, like "angels approaching earth for the first/time" (lines 54-55). Slow -- spelling words, getting beat at a board game by a ten-year old, slow.

Sincerely,
A Poem A Day Audrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home