Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Library and the People We Meet.

Poem of the Day:
"Refraction" by Phyllis Koestenbaum
Michigan Quarterly Review, Spring 2010


What's of greater interest to me is the preface to Koestenbaum's poem. It is a quote from Grace Paley, specifically from her short story "Wants," which follows a bizarre and elucidating serendipitous encounter with her ex-husband. Paley writes, and Koestenbaum replicates, "I saw my ex-husband in the street. I was sitting on the steps of the new library." Thus begins a strange tale and a beautiful poem.

I have had many encounters with the library this summer. They call me often to tell me that my books are on hold. Yes, yes they do.

I've also written about Dorothy and Kitty a lot on this blog; this will be the last time I promise.

Today while taking a walk through Boston Common I spotted Kitty. Her head was down, she was carrying a folding chair, and she looked mighty determined. I imagine she was on her way to see Shakespeare in the Park ('Othello' is playing).

Alas, she was too far away to allow me to give her a proper "hello." Also, I said my goodbyes when we last met, at the July Book Club, so perhaps I was meant only to see her and not speak with her. Regardless, it was lovely.

There are people to be met at the library, people we don't want to see like Paley and her ex-husband, and there are those whom we don't know and with whom we develop a special, library-centered bond. It was nice to see Kitty one more time, and to be thankful again for our brief, but wondrous friendship.


Sincerely,
A Poem A Day Audrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home